Roberto De Zerbi has insisted Tottenham Hotspur cannot afford to relax in their battle against relegation, warning his players they are “not safe yet” ahead of Tuesday’s crucial Premier League encounter with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.
Roberto De Zerbi Warns Tottenham Are ‘Not Safe Yet’ Ahead of Crucial Chelsea Clash
Spurs moved closer to securing their top-flight status after West Ham United suffered defeat to Newcastle United on Sunday, leaving the Hammers two points behind Tottenham with an inferior goal difference.
As a result, Tottenham realistically require just one point from their remaining two matches to guarantee survival.
Despite the favourable position, De Zerbi made it clear during Monday’s press conference that his side remain fully focused and are not yet thinking about the summer or the future.
“We cannot forget where we were one month ago. We are not safe yet,” the Spurs manager said.
“It would not be correct for me to answer questions about the future at this moment. Before discussing anything else, we must first secure at least one more point.
“And in the Premier League, even earning one point requires you to fight and perform very well.
“Our full concentration must remain on this match. Afterwards, there will be time to discuss everything else.”
Goalkeeper Decision Looms for De Zerbi
One of the major selection dilemmas facing De Zerbi concerns the goalkeeping position following the return of Guglielmo Vicario to training after recovering from hernia surgery undergone at the end of March.
However, Antonín Kinský has impressed in recent weeks after producing several strong performances since returning to the starting line-up last month.
De Zerbi suggested the younger goalkeeper could retain his place despite Vicario being available again.
“Vicario is available to play. I will make my decision tomorrow,” he explained.
When asked whether the selection decision was difficult, De Zerbi replied: “No, it is easy.
“Yes, Vicario is our number one goalkeeper, but we must also consider physical condition, momentum and many other factors.
“I have an excellent relationship with both Antonín Kinský and Vicario, so there will not be any issue.”
Injury Concerns Continue for Spurs
Tottenham will be without Dominic Solanke for the trip to west London after the striker suffered a hamstring injury.
Spurs also face an intimidating recent record at Stamford Bridge, having managed just one victory in their last 35 league visits to Chelsea.
“Stamford Bridge is always a difficult stadium,” De Zerbi admitted.
“Chelsea have had outstanding players for the last 25 or 30 years, but tomorrow is a completely new game.”
There was more positive news regarding James Maddison, who made his long-awaited return from injury during last week’s 1-1 draw against Leeds United after 375 days away from competitive action.
Although Maddison suffered a minor setback earlier this week, De Zerbi confirmed the midfielder is expected to be involved again.
“At the beginning of the week he had a small issue and did not train, but over the last two days James has worked very well,” he said.
“He is not yet ready to play 90 minutes, but I will speak with him tomorrow morning before making the best decision possible.”
Romero Praised Despite Uncertain Future
De Zerbi also praised Tottenham captain Cristian Romero, who has recently resumed individual training following a knee injury.
The Spurs boss highlighted Romero’s leadership qualities despite the defender’s absence from the pitch in recent weeks.
“Cristian Romero is a top player,” De Zerbi said.
“He is also an incredible person because he has remained a fantastic captain during my time here even while injured.”
However, De Zerbi declined to discuss speculation surrounding Romero’s long-term future at the club.
“That is a good question, but this is not the right time to discuss it,” he added.
“Right now, all our focus must remain on Chelsea.”
বাংলা
Spanish
Arabic
French
Chinese