Three people were killed in a shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego, California, in an attack being investigated as a possible hate crime. The two teenage suspects were later found dead from apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds. No children were harmed, and authorities have launched a full investigation into the incident.
Three Killed in Shooting at San Diego Islamic Center; Hate Crime Probe Underway
Three people were killed after gunmen opened fire at the Islamic Center of San Diego in California on Monday in an attack authorities say is being investigated as a possible hate crime. The two suspected shooters, aged 17 and 18, were later found dead from what officials described as apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds.
The shooting occurred shortly before midday prayers at the Islamic Center of San Diego (ICSD), located in the Clairemont neighborhood. The mosque is the largest Islamic worship center in San Diego County and serves thousands of worshippers and community members.
Federal and local authorities immediately launched an extensive investigation into the incident. The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) said it was seeking information from the public and had established a tip line to gather evidence and witness accounts related to the attack.
San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl described the tragedy as every community’s worst nightmare. According to Wahl, police had already been searching for the suspects before the shooting took place. Approximately two hours earlier, the mother of one of the teenagers contacted authorities to report that her son was missing along with several firearms and her vehicle. Officers subsequently began searching for the teenager and another suspect.
While carrying out that search, police received a 911 emergency call reporting gunfire at the Islamic Center. Officers who were already in the vicinity responded immediately and discovered three victims who had been fatally shot.
At nearly the same time, emergency dispatchers received another report of gunfire from a vehicle about two blocks away from the mosque. Wahl said investigators believe the incidents may be connected. He added that a landscaper working nearby may have narrowly escaped serious injury after a bullet struck his protective helmet, which appeared to deflect the shot.
Authorities confirmed that children attending the Islamic Center’s school were unharmed during the attack. Officials established a reunification center to assist families and loved ones seeking information about those present at the facility when the shooting occurred.
Among those killed was a security guard assigned to the Islamic Center. Investigators said the guard took action during the attack and may have helped reduce the scale of the tragedy. While authorities continue to determine exactly what happened, Chief Wahl praised the guard’s bravery.
“I think it’s fair to say the guard’s actions were heroic, and undoubtedly he saved lives today,” Wahl said during a press briefing.
San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria said authorities had successfully neutralized the immediate threat and emphasized that children at the center were safe.
“The threat currently has been addressed, children are safe and that is a good thing,” Gloria said during a Monday afternoon press conference. He also expressed condolences to the local Muslim community, saying his thoughts and prayers were with those affected by the loss of life.
Later in the day, the mayor strongly condemned religious hatred and intolerance.
“Hate has no home in San Diego. Islamophobia has no home in San Diego. An attack on any San Diegan is an attack on all San Diegans, and we will not stand for it in America’s finest city,” Gloria stated.
Medical officials confirmed that several victims were transported to hospital facilities for treatment. A spokesperson for Sharp Memorial Hospital said injured individuals from the incident were receiving care there, though further details regarding their conditions were not immediately released.
The attack has left members of San Diego’s Muslim community in shock and mourning. Taha Hassane, an imam and director of the Islamic Center, described the incident as unprecedented for the congregation.
“We have never experienced a tragedy like this before, and at this moment, all I can say is that we are sending our prayers and standing in solidarity with all the families in our community, the other mosques and all places of worship in our beautiful city that should always be protected,” Hassane said.
He strongly condemned the targeting of a religious institution, calling it an outrageous act against people gathered for worship.
“Our community is mourning,” Hassane said. He urged the public to allow grieving families the privacy and space needed to cope with their losses. “Please let the families mourn, let them pray, as we do always at the Islamic Center of San Diego. It is a house of worship. It’s not a battlefield.”
The imam also warned about the dangers of growing religious intolerance and hatred in society, saying communities across the country must actively promote understanding, tolerance and compassion.
“The religious intolerance and the hate, unfortunately, that exists in our nation is unprecedented,” he said. “All of us are responsible for spreading the culture of tolerance and the culture of love.”
The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) condemned the attack, describing it as a horrifying act of violence. Tazheen Nizam, executive director of the organization’s San Diego chapter, said no one should fear for their safety while attending prayers or studying at a school.
California Governor Gavin Newsom said he had been briefed on developments and that the state’s Office of Emergency Services was working closely with local law enforcement agencies.
“California sends our deepest condolences to the families and communities impacted by today’s shooting,” Newsom said. “Worshippers anywhere should not have to fear for their lives. Hate has no place in California, and we will not tolerate acts of terror or intimidation against communities of faith.”
President Donald Trump was also informed about the incident and described it as “a terrible situation.”
The FBI later confirmed that both suspected shooters are believed to have died from self-inflicted gunshot wounds. FBI official Mark Remily stated that no law enforcement officers discharged their weapons during the incident, indicating that the suspects were not killed by responding authorities.
As news of the attack spread, law enforcement agencies in other major cities increased security around Muslim institutions and houses of worship. In Los Angeles, police announced enhanced patrols at mosques, Islamic centers and other religious sites as a precautionary measure.
The New York Police Department also said it was monitoring the situation closely. Although officials stated there was no known connection to New York City and no specific threats had been identified, the department announced that additional officers would be deployed to mosques across the city as a precaution.
Investigators continue to examine the motive behind the attack as they work to determine whether anti-Muslim hatred played a role. Authorities have urged anyone with information, surveillance footage or eyewitness accounts to contact law enforcement as the investigation remains ongoing.
বাংলা
Spanish
Arabic
French
Chinese