Kenya Transport Operators Suspend Strike for One Week After Deadly Fuel Price Protests

Total Views : 13
Zoom In Zoom Out Read Later Print

Public transport operators in Kenya have suspended a nationwide strike for one week to allow talks with the government after two days of protests over rising fuel prices. The unrest disrupted transport, left commuters stranded, and escalated into violent clashes that resulted in four deaths, more than 30 injuries, and 348 arrests. The government has promised consultations with fuel stakeholders within seven days to address pricing concerns linked to recent sharp increases in petrol and diesel costs.

Public transport operators in Kenya have suspended a nationwide strike for one week to allow further consultations with the government, bringing a temporary pause to two days of protests that turned violent and left four people dead, with more than 30 others injured.
The strike had severely disrupted movement across the country, leaving thousands of commuters stranded for a second consecutive day as buses, minibuses, and other public transport vehicles stayed off the roads. Major highways and urban routes were affected, causing widespread delays and forcing many people to walk long distances or seek alternative transport. As tensions escalated, protests spread into several areas where demonstrators clashed with police, blocked roads, and set tyres ablaze, creating thick smoke and making some major roads impassable.
The unrest followed the collapse of talks between transport operators and government representatives on Monday. Operators had demanded an immediate reduction in fuel prices, arguing that the rising cost of petrol and diesel had made it increasingly difficult to sustain transport services while keeping fares affordable for commuters. They said the situation had placed heavy financial pressure on drivers and vehicle owners, threatening livelihoods and public mobility.
Kenya recently experienced a sharp increase in fuel prices, with diesel rising by 23.5 percent and petrol by 8 percent, reaching record highs. The government attributed the surge to global energy market disruptions, including the impact of the Iran conflict on international oil supply chains, which has affected import costs and fuel pricing across the region.
Interior Minister Kipchumba Murkomen announced that the government would engage all relevant fuel stakeholders in consultations within seven days. He said the aim was to address the pricing concerns and seek a workable solution that balances economic realities with the needs of transport operators and the public.
A representative of the transporters’ association, Kennedy Kaunda, confirmed the suspension of the strike, saying members had agreed to allow the talks to continue in good faith. He added that the association would review the outcome of the discussions after one week and determine the next steps depending on whether meaningful progress was made.
The protests had already resulted in significant consequences. At least four people were killed during the unrest, while more than 30 others sustained injuries in clashes and related incidents. Authorities also arrested 348 individuals, who are expected to face charges for participating in what officials described as illegal demonstrations.
Despite the temporary suspension of the strike, tensions remain high as both sides prepare for negotiations that will determine whether transport services will remain stable or face renewed disruption in the coming days.