Barcelona Restores Ter Stegen as Captain After Fitness Dispute Resolution

Total Views : 23
Zoom In Zoom Out Read Later Print

Barcelona have reinstated goalkeeper Marc-André ter Stegen as club captain, ending a brief but tense stand-off over the German international’s fitness.

The 33-year-old was stripped of the armband on Thursday after the club launched disciplinary proceedings earlier in the week. The dispute stemmed from his recovery following back surgery at the end of July, with reports claiming he had refused to release his medical records.

According to local media, Barcelona had sought to classify him as a long-term injury under La Liga rules — a move that would have allowed part of his wages to be excluded from the official salary cap.

Late on Friday night, the club issued a statement confirming that Ter Stegen had signed the necessary paperwork, effectively closing the matter.

“The disciplinary file is considered closed and the player regains the first-team captaincy with immediate effect,” the statement read.

Ter Stegen Speaks Out
Earlier in the day, the Germany international took to Instagram to address the speculation.

“In recent weeks, many things have been said about me – some of them entirely unfounded,” he wrote. “Therefore, I feel it is necessary to express my version of events respectfully, yet clearly.”

He added that he was willing to co-operate fully with club management to resolve the issue and provide the requested authorisation.

With the new La Liga season approaching, Barcelona are once again wrestling with Spain’s financial fair play regulations. Failure to meet them could prevent the registration of new signings.

Ter Stegen insisted that the club’s financial challenges had nothing to do with his injury.

“I would also like to clarify that all of the club’s signings and contract renewals were completed prior to my surgery,” he explained.
“The decision to undergo surgery was fully approved by the club, and always with the intention of prioritising my health and long-term sporting career — which are fully aligned with FCB’s goals to have me available on the pitch as soon as possible to keep winning trophies.”

Commitment to the Club
The goalkeeper further stressed that his absence should not affect the registration of other players.

“My commitment to these colours remains absolute,” he said. “I greatly respect my team-mates and look forward to sharing the dressing room with them for many seasons.”

Ter Stegen faces fresh competition for his place from summer signing Joan Garcia, 24, and 35-year-old Polish veteran Wojciech Szczęsny, who recently earned a contract extension after stepping in during last season’s title-winning campaign.