Seven Nigerian soldiers were reportedly killed after suspected Lakurawa terrorists ambushed their convoy near Illela in Sokoto State when one of the military vehicles broke down during a return journey from a raid. The military has deployed reinforcements and launched operations to track the attackers, while concerns grow over the increasing activities of the Lakurawa group in northwestern Nigeria.
Suspected Lakurawa Terrorists Kill Seven Nigerian Soldiers in Sokoto Border Ambush
At least seven Nigerian soldiers were killed in a deadly ambush by suspected members of the Lakurawa terrorist group in northwestern Nigeria, underscoring the continuing security threats facing military personnel operating in border regions despite ongoing counterterrorism campaigns.
The attack took place late on Saturday night near Illela Local Government Area of Sokoto State, a community situated close to the border with Niger Republic. According to military and local sources, the soldiers had been returning from a successful operation targeting a Lakurawa camp when they came under heavy attack.
Reports indicate that the troops had carried out a raid on a terrorist hideout outside Illela and were heading back when one of the vehicles in their convoy developed a mechanical fault. The convoy consisted of three military vehicles, but the breakdown forced one vehicle carrying several soldiers to stop while repairs were attempted. The other two vehicles reportedly continued their journey, leaving the stranded troops temporarily exposed.
While the soldiers were repairing the vehicle, suspected Lakurawa fighters launched a surprise ambush. Witnesses and local residents said the attackers took advantage of the isolated location and opened fire on the soldiers. The assault resulted in the deaths of at least seven military personnel, including a lieutenant. One soldier reportedly managed to escape the attack and later alerted authorities.
Residents familiar with the incident said recovery teams later retrieved the bodies of the slain soldiers and transported them to Illela. The attack sent shockwaves through nearby communities, where residents have become increasingly concerned about the growing presence and boldness of armed groups operating in the region.
Nigeria’s military acknowledged that troops suffered losses during the operation but stopped short of releasing an official casualty figure. Lieutenant Colonel Olaniyi Osoba, the military spokesperson for the region, described the losses as regrettable and confirmed that immediate action had been taken in response to the attack.
“We incurred regrettable casualties over the weekend around Illela,” Osoba said in a statement to AFP. He added that military authorities had deployed tactical reinforcements to the area and that security operations were continuing with the aim of locating and eliminating those responsible for the ambush.
According to the spokesperson, troops have intensified patrols and intelligence-gathering efforts in the area as part of a broader operation designed to dismantle terrorist networks operating along the Nigeria-Niger border. Security forces are also working to prevent further attacks on communities and military installations in the region.
The Lakurawa group has emerged as one of the growing security concerns in northwestern Nigeria. The group established a presence in Sokoto and Kebbi states around 2018 and is believed to have links with terrorist and extremist networks operating across the wider Sahel region. Security analysts say the group initially gained influence by exploiting weak border controls and remote rural communities that are difficult for security agencies to monitor effectively.
Since 2023, Lakurawa has significantly expanded its operations, carrying out attacks against security personnel, local vigilante groups and civilians. The group is also accused of imposing illegal levies on villagers, attacking communities that resist its influence and using remote forests and border areas as operational bases.
The porous border between Nigeria and Niger Republic has long posed a challenge for security agencies. Terrorist groups often exploit the difficult terrain and limited state presence in remote areas to move fighters, weapons and supplies across national boundaries. This has complicated military efforts to track and eliminate insurgent networks.
The threat posed by Lakurawa has drawn international attention. On December 25, 2025, the United States carried out coordinated missile strikes against Lakurawa camps in the Tangaza district of Sokoto State in collaboration with Nigerian authorities. The operation was aimed at weakening the group's command structure and reducing its ability to launch attacks within the region.
Saturday’s ambush occurred on the same day that Nigerian and American officials announced a major success in counterterrorism operations elsewhere in the country. The two governments revealed that Abu Bilal Al Manuki, identified as the deputy leader of Daesh in the region, had been killed in a joint military operation targeting terrorist camps in the Lake Chad Basin.
According to intelligence sources, Al Manuki, a Nigerian national, had been under surveillance for an extended period. Security agencies reportedly traced him to a hideout in the remote village of Metele near the Niger border through signals linked to his satellite phone. The intelligence gathered enabled military planners to coordinate airstrikes that successfully eliminated the senior extremist leader.
Officials described the killing of Al Manuki as a major blow to terrorist operations in the Lake Chad region, where extremist groups have carried out attacks for more than a decade. However, the deadly ambush in Sokoto serves as a reminder that terrorist organisations remain capable of launching attacks despite sustained military pressure and international cooperation.
Security experts note that while the elimination of senior terrorist commanders can disrupt operations and weaken command structures, local cells and affiliated groups often retain the ability to conduct attacks independently. As a result, military authorities continue to emphasise the importance of sustained intelligence gathering, border security measures and regional cooperation among countries affected by insurgent violence.
The Nigerian government has repeatedly pledged to strengthen security operations across the northwest and northeast, where armed groups continue to threaten communities and security personnel. Authorities say ongoing military offensives, surveillance operations and partnerships with international allies will remain central to efforts aimed at restoring stability and preventing terrorist groups from expanding their influence.
The latest attack has once again highlighted the dangers faced by Nigerian troops operating in volatile regions and the continuing challenge of combating insurgent groups that exploit difficult terrain and cross-border networks to sustain their activities
বাংলা
Spanish
Arabic
French
Chinese