Up To 60 Worshippers Abducted In Extremist Attack On Niger State Mosque

Total Views : 7
Zoom In Zoom Out Read Later Print

Armed extremists attacked villages in Borgu Local Government Area of Niger State, Nigeria, before storming a mosque during Friday prayers and abducting worshippers. Residents said up to 60 people may have been kidnapped, while witnesses reported several deaths, although police said preliminary reports indicated no confirmed fatalities. Authorities have not identified the attackers, with witnesses offering conflicting claims linking them to Lakurawa or Ansaru.

Armed extremists attacked several communities in Borgu Local Government Area of Niger State, Nigeria, before storming a mosque during Friday prayers and abducting worshippers, authorities and residents said.
The attackers reportedly surrounded a Juma’at mosque in Kpenya village after Friday prayers and took a number of people away.
Local residents told news agencies that dozens of people, possibly as many as 60, were kidnapped.

SURVIVORS DESCRIBE VIOLENT ATTACK

Witnesses described a large group of armed men arriving with guns, knives and machetes.
One survivor told AFP that the attackers accused residents of failing to follow what they described as the “true teachings” of Islam and allegedly killed several people.
However, police said preliminary reports indicated that no deaths had been confirmed.
The conflicting accounts could not immediately be independently verified, and authorities continued to investigate the incident.

CULPRITS NOT YET CONFIRMED

No group had claimed responsibility for the attack at the time of reporting, and Nigerian police had not identified the perpetrators.
Witnesses offered conflicting accounts about the attackers' identity.
One resident claimed the gunmen belonged to Lakurawa, an increasingly radical group that researchers have linked to Islamic State Sahel Province.
Another resident identified the attackers as Ansaru, a jihadist group that broke away from Boko Haram and has links to al-Qaeda.
Residents also reported that a rival armed group known as Mahmuda clashed with the attackers, allowing some of the abducted people to escape.

NIGERIA FACES MULTIPLE SECURITY THREATS

The attack highlights the complex security challenges facing northern Nigeria.
Although jihadist attacks have declined from the peak of the Boko Haram insurgency during the previous decade, security forces continue to confront several armed groups.
Northern communities face threats from jihadist organisations as well as criminal gangs commonly known as bandits, who are responsible for kidnappings and attacks in several parts of the country.
The overlapping nature of these conflicts has placed considerable pressure on Nigeria's military and police forces.

INVESTIGATION AND SEARCH OPERATIONS

Authorities are expected to investigate the identities and motives of the attackers while efforts continue to determine the exact number of people abducted and locate those still missing.
The conflicting reports over casualties and responsibility underline the uncertainty surrounding the attack.
For residents of Borgu, the assault has raised renewed fears about the spread of armed violence into communities where people gather for worship and other daily activities.