Luis Enrique Dismisses ‘Noise’ as Paris Saint-Germain F.C. Prepare for AS Monaco FC Champions League Showdown

Total Views : 10
Zoom In Zoom Out Read Later Print

Paris Saint-Germain head coach Luis Enrique has dismissed suggestions of dressing-room unrest as the reigning European champions prepare to defend their continental crown against domestic rivals Monaco in this week’s Champions League play-off first leg.

PSG have struggled to recapture the scintillating form that propelled them to their maiden Champions League triumph last season. Their recent dip continued at the weekend with a 3–1 defeat away to Rennes, a result that saw them surrender top spot in Ligue 1 to Lens.

The setback followed an underwhelming start to 2026, which included elimination from the Coupe de France at the hands of Paris FC and an 11th-place finish in the Champions League league phase. Failure to win any of their last three European fixtures has left the Parisian club facing a play-off to secure a place in the last 16.

Dembélé’s Call for Unity

Following the defeat in Rennes, Ballon d’Or winner Ousmane Dembélé appeared to question the collective commitment within the squad.

“We need to play for Paris Saint-Germain if we are going to win matches,” he said in a post-match television interview. “If we all just play for ourselves, it will not work and we will not win the trophies we want.

“Last season we put the club before ourselves. We need to start thinking like that again.”

Enrique, however, sought to downplay the significance of the remarks when speaking in Monaco on Monday.

“There is always noise around PSG and we just have to accept it,” the Spaniard said. “The defeat in Rennes was cruel on us.

“Of course we would have preferred to come into this match on the back of a victory, but now it is time for the Champions League and we are all motivated.”

Favourites but Wary

PSG enter the tie as clear favourites against a Monaco side currently eighth in Ligue 1 and trailing the champions by 20 points. Nevertheless, the principality club have shown signs of resurgence and defeated PSG 1–0 in their most recent meeting at the Stade Louis II in November.

“We can expect a match similar to the previous one,” Enrique added. “We are not going to change anything — we will try to win.

“It is football. Facing a domestic rival does not alter our objective. What I hope to see is the best version of PSG.”

The former Spain manager also drew parallels with last season’s European campaign.

“We began the Champions League last year with the same lack of efficiency, but later results proved we were superior to our opponents. That is what we are aiming for again. I am convinced we can return to that level very quickly.”

Monaco Belief

Monaco coach Sébastien Pocognoli, who is sweating over the fitness of France international midfielder Maghnes Akliouche, insisted his side must approach the contest with conviction.

“We need to believe we can achieve a result — otherwise there is no point in playing the match,” he said.

Club captain Denis Zakaria echoed that sentiment.

“If we are not at 100 per cent and do not play the perfect game, it will be very difficult for us.”

With continental ambitions on the line, both sides head into the encounter acutely aware of its significance — PSG seeking to silence the external ‘noise’, and Monaco determined to upset the reigning champions once again.